Last week I did it. I completed the Hanoi Half Marathon. It was the third 21km race I’ve taken part in and despite feeling like poo, (I’ve been quite ill recently) I somehow managed to beat my PB! Last year I ran in 2 hours 5 mins. This year I managed to knock 3 whole minutes off my time. Hello new PB of 2 hours 2 minutes.
The thing I love most about running is how relaxed I feel. I mean, I didn’t even think twice about the chest infection, sore throat or runny nose I had at the time. Any bad or negative thoughts kind of just disappear when I’m running. Although that’s not to say I stop thinking entirely. Running is definitely my thinking time. It’s like my mind goes into overdrive and thinks about the smallest and simplest of things.
So while my feet were clocking up 21km, my thoughts were running up a list of their own.
Here are 21 thoughts that ran through my mind as I chased towards 21km during the Hanoi Half Marathon.
1. *Less than one minute into the run* I should have invested in some better headphones. Why are my ear holes so tiny they can’t stay in? 🎧
2. Maybe that’s just what you get for cheap £2 ones 🤑
3. *To the man in front of me* How are you running without any shoes? 👣
4. Aren’t your feet cold? I hope you don’t step in any glass, or dog poo. 💩 Or squished dead rats – there are quite a few of those on the roads here.
5. *When I see Superwoman running* Fancy dress! Why didn’t I think to dress up? Next time 💃🏽
6. *To the man who zoomed past me, 10km in* How do you still smell so good? Is your sweat aftershave-scented?! 👃🏽
7. I really need to see a foot doctor about these clicky ankles. 👨🏻⚕️
8. Good playlist Maya. You did good. 🙌
9. It’s such a brilliant cloudy, cold day for running ☁️
10 . I hope I don’t get knocked over by a motorbike (road closures for marathons don’t exist in Hanoi. Health & safety… what’s that?) 🏍
11. I hope I don’t run out of tissues. This snotty nose needs to stop being so snotty, or I’ll be forced to do something very disgusting that I don’t want to do 🤧
12. *After seeing a woman on the sidewalk selling fresh coconuts* As soon as I’m finished I’m having one of those🍹
13. Is the electronic timing chip still on my trainer? *Looks down to check every few km’s* 🏷
14. I’m hungry. What shall I have for dinner tonight? 🍔
15. Yay I don’t have to go into work later! 👩🏻🏫
16. I should have stretched properly. My legs already hurt 🙆🏻
17. Now my back hurts 👀
18. Stop complaining Maya. Think about the full body massage you’ll be getting tonight. Ooooh 💆🏻
19. I love running. And I love these new Adidas boost trainers. They really do lift you up. But I think they should be called ‘bounce’, they’re more on the bouncy side than the boosty 👟
20. 200 metres to go Maya *puts some Eminem on, gets into the zone and sprints* 💨🏃🏻♀️
21. YAY I can see the finishing line/ corner thing. *gets to the corner and sees a steep hill* WHAT THE HELL IS THIS! An uphill sprint to the finishing line?! YOU’VE GOT THIS MAYA 💪🏽🏁
Do you have the same thoughts as me when you’re running? Does your mind wander off in a world of its own? Leave a comment below.
Thanks to Sporting Republic for organising the brilliant Hanoi Half Marathon event.